Did you know that when the groundhog saw his shadow on February 2nd, that he was actually telling everyone that there would be 6 more weeks of Reed and Andy talking about Tar Heel shooting woes? It’s a fact. This week, we try to figure out if the team is trending up, down or sideways and ask if it is time for a change at the starting “shooting” guard spot. Tourney Watch zeroes in on how far we might go and we reveal some stats that we have been tracking over the last several games. Oh, and Reed reads some poetry to Andy during the dook sucks segment. Seriously.
Too bad he’s in Japan.
Will Graves was recently signed to Japan’s B-J League (make your own jokes there), and seems to be doing quite well. He plays for the Akita Happinets, and in his second game for the team, he poured in 23 points.
After the BC, Henson was spotted in the locker room wearing a T-shirt that seemed to read, “Lead me, follow me or get out of my way.” The slogan is a quote from Gen. George Patton. So what does it mean? Is it just something he picked up at one of the novelty stores in Myrtle Beach or somewhere, or is he trying to send a message about something?
- It was ugly.
- No, seriously. It was really ugly.
- The 48 points marked the fewest for a Carolina team in the Smith Center. In the last game against BC, UNC had 49 — at the half.
- Zeller runs the floor really well. You gotta love that about him. His hustle gets him 1 or 2 lay-ups every game.
- Our starting shooting guard — sorry, “shooting” guard — took 1 shot the entire game. And missed. (more…)
What was it?
Next Wednesday’s game against NC State will be the first NCAA basketball game broadcast in China. The Raycom feed will be shown in Shanghai (population: 16 million) with local play-by-play announcers calling the action. That’s pretty cool, but why not show the Dook-Carolina game? Or,not to be completely biased here, a Kansas or Kentucky game? NC State seems like a strange choice, but we’ll take it. Maybe it will pay off in recruiting down the road. Send us some big men. We’d even take this chick.
- BC has lost to not one but two Ivy League teams this season — Yale and Harvard. Has that ever happened to a team outside the Ivy League before?
- If Carolina wins, the team will clinch a 7th 20-win season under Williams
- In the team’s last meeting, Reggie Bullock broke out for 16 points, including four three-pointers. Here’s hoping this is the game where he gets back on track.
- UNC did not score 80 points in any of 19 games started by Larry Drew II against ACC opponents over the last two seasons but have done so three times since Kendall Marshall took over. That’s nuts.
- BC’s Reggie Jackson had just 6 points in his last meeting with the Heels, despite averaging nearly 19 for the season. That won’t happen again, will it?
That he’s one of the uncoolest athletes of all time. J.J. gets called out, along with the likes of Shawn Bradley, Bode Miller and Daniel-san, the Karate Kid.
The poetry, we can overlook. (Hey, we’re not about to slag someone else for amateurish written expression.) But the Duke Factor? Not so much. What Luke Skywalker was to the Force, J.J. Redick is to a lack of cool: the unwitting conduit to a higher power, an heir to an inescapable tradition. Erik Meek. Chris Collins. Mike Gminski. Cherokee Parks. Greg Paulus (pre-football cool revival). Shane Battier. Shav Randolph. Wojo. Wojo! As such, cut Redick some slack. Search your feelings. You know it to be true. The moment he signed his Blue Devils letter of intent — committing to college basketball’s Galactic Empire — uncoolness was his destiny.