- Whoa. Really didn’t expect that.
- Zeller was an animal, playing tough inside, grabbing boards and playing physical D. He’s been on a tear through the tourney, and we’d like to give him a hug.
- The Golden Eagles in the first half threw up some of the most seriously ugly shots ever to be hoisted in a college basketball game. I can hear Bill Walton whining in the back of my mind, “C’mon, draw iron!”
- Zeller gets hammered more often with no call than anyone else on the team by far. It stinks.
- We said this last week, but Carolina really, really has to learn to close out games.
- Blue Steel got minutes. In a Sweet 16 game. Try and process that.
- Henson was really getting knocked around inside, as he has in other games this tourney. Perhaps out of frustration, he shot some ill-advised outside jumpers. Or maybe he plans to go pro and was trying to show off for the scouts.
- Barnes continues to show almost no emotion, even after knocking down big 3′s. It’s getting odd this deep into the tourney.
- Marquette had 15 points in the first half. That’s not really an observation, we just thought we’d point that out again. 15.
Most oddsmakers are favoring the Heels by 4 points against Marquette tonight. The spread has actually been narrowing this week, dropping by 1/2 point in the past day. What does that tell you? As most people know, odds aren’t necessarily about who is the better team, but more about who bettors have been convinced is going to win. The spread is designed to ensure that the gamblers don’t all lay down cash on the same side; instead — if the spread is done right — half will bet on Marquette, and the other half on Carolina. That way, whichever team wins, the bookies can’t lose. So, clearly a bunch of money has been pouring onto Marquette’s side of late, probably as a result of the media narrative that this is a team of tough, junior-college players who feel slighted by the big programs and are out to make their name against elite Carolina. We’ll see.
Well, Rashad McCants — who, when we last checked in on him, was starring as a cross-dressing pimp in a straight-to-web series — is back with a crazy rap video called “Ballin’.” In it, McCants (alias Suni Blac) seems to suggest that playing basketball is just a hobby and he then goes on to boast about all his madd skills, including the lines, “I be dunking like Amar’e,” and “I could beat the Dream Team.” Er, yeah. Let’s try taking out some teams in the D-League first, Rashad. Enjoy this one, folks!
It seems a couple Marquette undergrads have banded together to create this new fight song specifically for the Sweet 16. It’s called “Buzzin’,” and while its lyrics are slightly more intelligent than the genius that is “Friday” by Rebecca Black, it’s hardly a masterpiece. Give a listen. Are you more worried about the Golden Eagles now? Us neither.
Rumors are circulating that the UNC bench could look a little different by the beginning of next year. Jerod Hasse is reportedly a candidate for the Fresno State job. We are wondering who the candidates might be to replace him. It will never happen, but our wish can be summed up in two words: Coach. Rasheed.