- Once again, McAdoo came ready to play. His first five minutes in that game might have been as good as any Carolina player’s in recent memory.
- Meeks vs. Mitchell was the pudgiest showdown yet in the conference. Loved it. Those two smacking together would destroy buildings.
- Also really liked how Meeks took it straight at Mitchell, drawing a few fouls.
- Hubert is a really good shot blocker. Even though he plays really limited minutes, he often swats one. Per 40, he’s averaging 2.4 blocks per game, same as Brice.
- I guess the only way Carolina will use any time outs is when one of the players dives on the floor and is forced to call one.
- Has Dez Wells been at Maryland for 7 years? Seems like it.
- Gotta love the crowd’s “ACC” chant late in the game. Enjoy your football money, Maryland.
- Tokoto has become a bit of a turnover machine of late, especially on his post entry passes. Tighten it up!
- Did someone not explain to Hicks about the red light on the 3?
- This one might make it official. McAdoo is the key to this team. When he plays hard and with heart, he accomplishes so much on both ends and pushes everyone else. He got fouled just 8 seconds into the game. Love it.
- Can this be two games in a row where the opponent was actually worse at the foul line? What the hell?
- If Kennedy Meeks can keep developing that sweet fadeaway turnaround, he will be unstoppable.
- A Jackson Simmons sighting! A Jackson Simmons sighting!
- James didn’t play much, but he did some good things on defense and on the boards. Nice going.
- It’s weird how McAdoo struggles at the line but has not problem hitting a foul-line jumper during the game.
- Why do people keep putting Shaq in commercials? He’s not half as funny as he thinks he is, and he has a serious mush mouth.
- The team has gotten really good at tipping out foul line misses. I guess they have a lot of practice.
- Here’s hoping one day Roy Williams will reveal just how he’s able to get the team up for every State game. Is it fueled by hatred alone? Would love to know.
- That wasn’t pretty, but it was still a huge win and one that keeps the Heels’ NCAA tourney hopes very much alive.
- Carolina took a lot of jump shots in the first half. You would have thought they’d have learned their lesson about attacking the basket after the win against Clemson.
- It’s amazing to know there’s a team in the conference that’s worse from the line than Carolina — at least for one night.
- Soooo, Jackson Simmons isn’t a thing anymore?
- If I were the opposition’s coach, I’d tell my players never to bite on Kennedy Meeks’ first pump fake. But they always go for it.
- Hicks for 3: red light.
- McDonald took a whole lot of shots in that game. Was it too many? Hard to say, but he’s not exactly the most efficient scorer.
- It was nice to see the bench step up when some of the starters got in foul trouble.
The guard, who’s currently playing very well in the D League, spoke to Draft Express. He didn’t say all that much, and flat out refused to answer a question about whether UNC treated him fairly. But there was this:
DX: What would you like to tell people as your side of the story?
PJH: Actions speak louder than words so I don’t really want to say anything. Anyone can say, “I’m going to be a better person,” but you have to show it. Like now, I’m a professional athlete. I have to show professionalism. It’s a grown man business and I know that I have to make decisions on my own now. It’s not college, no one’s going to be there to babysit me. It’s part of the maturing stage for me and I want to show that I’m a way better person than what was assumed.
Of course you do. Don’t be crazy. We’re giving away three copies to listeners in advance of the upcoming Dook game. If you want to get in on that action, all you have to do is call our hotline and give us your reason why Duke sucks. Could be something timely that happened that week. Could be a rant about your least favorite player of all time. Could be something evergreen about Coach K. Could be a personal anecdote about a run-in with a Dookie. As long as you’re passionate about it. Best three voicemails win a copy of the book. Deadline is Wednesday, February 12 at noon.
Call 641-715-3900, ext. 422465 and leave your message. At the end, give us your address. We’ll edit that out for broadcast on the podcast.
Big, BIG exhale. The streak survives! Carolina takes down Clemson. We give some much deserved love to Kennedy Meeks and James Michael McAdoo. Also, we’ve got some other streaks that Carolina basketball has going on that you might not know about. In Duke Sucks, we announce a contest where we’re giving away copies of the book Duke Sucks to three listeners. Also, two Duke students apparently don’t understand geography very well. To enter the contest, leave us your top reason why Duke Sucks at 641-715-3900, ext. 422465.
- Dear James Michael McAdoo. We apologize for anything bad we said about you earlier in the season. You are awesome.
- The dude really came to play. He was giving maximum effort in every area of the game. We even forgive the foul shooting.
- Why did the announcer keep calling Brice Johnson “John Henson?” We kept waiting for him to mix up Meeks with Ed Geth.
- Everyone seemed to make the most of their minutes, even if they didn’t end up with a ton of points. Hubert came in and made some really nice defensive plays.
- Feels like the Big Man Curse is broken with this game. Kennedy Meeks started and actually played the best of any of the bigs.
- That said, what happened to Johnson? His defense was awful, and on the offensive end, he looked like he was just out to get his points.
- Was Carolina’s defense that good or was Clemson’s offense just awful?
- Everyone jokes about Meeks having no lift, but he’s still surprisingly good at blocking shots, especially coming over from the weak side. Good job. He’s getting closer to being that complete center UNC needs.
- Someone in the audience was holding up one of those cardboard cutouts of Desmond Hubert. Nothing against Dez, but…Hubert is the cutout you pick?
- After starting two games ago, Jackson Simmons is now pretty much MIA. What happened there?
In an interview with Slam, the Milwaukee Buck shared his opinion on the whole Hairston/McDonald affair.
SLAM: About a month ago, you wore a shirt with the NCAA logo, only it had ‘SCAM’ written on it instead, presumably a reference to the situations surrounding Leslie McDonald, who you came to UNC with your freshman year, and PJ Hairston, who was a freshman when you were a junior. How important was it to you to make a statement, and why that shirt? Why do you feel the NCAA is a scam?
JH: It was just one of those things where how I felt—the shirt kind of said it all. I don’t know if it’s necessarily a ‘scam,’ but that kind of sent the message, you know, some things I disagree with in what they do. That’s kinda the statement I wanted to make, and hopefully in the future they can make changes and get things better. It’s unfortunate what happened to PJ, but that really wasn’t an NCAA thing—the school didn’t send a reinstatement letter, so it happens, and hopefully he’ll be fine and move on with his career.
This week, Andy welcomes a special guest host to take us through the Boston College victory. Did we really just see Jackson Simmons start a game? J.P. Tokoto missed two dunks but not much else – we discuss his impact on the team. In Duke Sucks, we learn that Christian Laettner is auctioning off some of his most prized possessions.