Here’s Coach K drawing a T for throwing his pen during the ACC tournament final. He later said he had no idea why got hit with the tech and said the call was “shameful” and “ridiculous.” He also said throwing the pen wasn’t a reaction to anything. Except that you can see him arguing with the ref, staring him down, then throwing the pen.
It would probably be best to never talk about that ACC tournament performance again, but we can’t help ourselves. We also look ahead to the Big Dance. Can Carolina squeak past higher seeds and make it to the Sweet 16? Seeing as how we know nothing about first opponent Providence, we’ve got a quiz. Finally in the Duke Sucks segment, we return to something we overlooked last week that has helped Andy decide upon his least favorite Dookie.
- If that game had ended with 7 minutes left in the second half, it would have ranked as one of the most lifeless, embarrassing outings in the history of UNC basketball.
- What is there even to say?
- Killed on the boards.
- No energy.
- No toughness.
- Awful foul shooting.
- Kennedy Meeks: nothing.
- Leslie McDonald: nothing.
- Officating: awful.
- Great effort at the end, but that couldn’t overcome the awfulness that was the first 33 minutes.
- This really does not bode well for the NCAA tournament. The team had better get back on track in a hurry and find someone else besides Paige who can score on a consistent basis, or they’re going to lose in the first game.
With a detailed analysis not seen since the parsing of the Zapruder film, correspondent Ian Williams has watched game film from Carolina’s win over Dook at the Dean Dome last month and isolated Andy, who just happened to have prime seats on the lower level. You can just about see him soil his pants in screen grab 3.
This turned out to be the all-Duke episode, less by planning and more through necessity. We take a look back at the Duke loss and we also get a report from correspodent Ian Williams, who managed to see the game at the Cameron and somehow made it out without being attacked by Speedo Man. In the official Duke Sucks segment, we round up 5 things — 5! — that are annoying us about the Blue Devils this week.
- You had to figure Parker wouldn’t have two bad games against Carolina. Oh, well. Good luck in the NBA, dude. His bag is already packed.
- UNC really missed Meeks, especially on the boards. Get well soon!
- That’s two Dook games in a row where McAdoo has been sidelined with questionable fouls.
- Nice game for Marcus Paige. Wish he would turn it on like the whole 40 minutes.
- Tough way for Thornton to go out. 0 points, 5 fouls.
- 9 rebounds for Brice Johnson. That’s pretty big.
Mark Titus over at Grantland sure seems to think so.
Now, Carolina’s Final Four potential is a talking point, and that could be disastrous for the Heels. The last thing they need is to be told they’re great. Yes, they’re on a long winning streak, they’ve beaten some good teams, and Paige is a hero ball stud. But the Tar Heels are still a team that has one reliable 3-point shooter (Paige); whose best interior player has been inconsistent his entire career (James Michael McAdoo); and is known for its defense even though its defense isn’t among America’s best. If the Carolina players start believing they’re just as good as Florida and Arizona, they’ll lose their edge and get embarrassed. This is why I almost think Carolina will go further in the NCAA tournament if it loses to Duke on Saturday. A Carolina team that thinks it’s hot shit doesn’t scare me, but a Carolina team that’s hungry to prove it belongs is an opponent I’d want no part of.
What do you think? Would you rather see Carolina lose in Durham on Saturday in order to make the team a bit hungrier?